As consumers have more devices available to watch television content, the question remains how much traditional television is still viewed. According to research from Nielsen, while video viewing on PCs, smartphones and tablets increase, traditional TVs still have the biggest usage numbers.
MediaPost reports the findings that American adults watch video content weekly on the following devices in these increments:
· Television: 36 hours and 7 minutes per week
· Video on a PC (Personal Computer): 1 hour and 30 minutes
· Video on a smartphone: 13 minutes
· Video on a tablet: 11 minutes
The reach of these screens with adults breaks down as follows:
· Television: 87.2%
· Video on a smartphone: 36.9%
· Video on a PC: 36%
· Video on a tablet: 17.5%
Overall, TV still has a large audience potential. Even with the use of DVRs, OnDemand, and streaming services, there is still a significant portion of the population utilizing television.