Thursday, September 3, 2015

Life of a College Grad Turned Media Coordinator

Exactly 4 months ago I was walking across the stage in my university’s gym receiving my diploma. Today, I’m sitting at a desk, wearing clothes that are not sweats, at my first “big girl job” as a Media Coordinator.

I’ve been a media coordinator for almost two months now, and I can assure you, I’ve learned more than I thought possible. Media planning and buying is a whole wide world that is unknown to a majority of today’s population. Heck, sometimes I still think I don’t know what it is!

I’ve learned about impressions and clicks, prelogs and postlogs, traffic and reports, and the list goes on. My job here at Ruth Burke is a fun one. I have the privilege of learning from terrific women who are great at their jobs. I also get to learn digital advertising and traditional advertising. Talk about having the best of both worlds!

My days are filled with updating and sending out reports, writing traffic instructions, double, triple, and quadruple checking said instructions, conversing with clients and vendors, meeting new people, going to events, keeping records, and writing blogs.

Life in the “real world” hasn’t necessarily been the easiest transition. I’m stuck in the phase of regretting not choosing the 5-year plan in college and loving the grown-up adult life.

I love my job but I hate waking up at 7am. I hate that sweatpants and hoodies aren’t considered “business casual.” I love being considered an adult and no longer a “college kid.” I hate that afternoon naps are a thing of the past. I love not having homework, tests, and all-nighters filled with studying.

See what I mean? I’m stuck in the awkward phase of graduating college and entering the workforce.

But, lucky for me, as a media coordinator, I get to learn so much about an industry that I’m passionate about and enjoy. So, I say goodbye to the carefree college lifestyle and hello to Outlook reminders and high heels.

No comments:

Post a Comment