While Generation Y does utilize traditional media like radio, print and television, it is the manner in which media is accessed that differs from older age brackets.
Digital media has situated itself firmly within the media landscape. It is the Generation Y that has most notably incorporated it into every aspect of his/her life. According to MediaPost, a new study conducted by L2 researched this media consumption.
Generation Y makes up about 75 million people between the ages of 12-29 in the
Key facts on how Generation Y use media from the study are as follows:
- 81% of affluent consumers use Facebook everyday
- 71% still read print magazines
- 66% access newspaper content online
- 63% use social media to interact with brands
- 45% read blogs everyday
- 45% read traditional newspapers daily
- 44% watch traditional TV daily
- 42% watch TV shows online
- 27% watch movies online
- 25% access his/her mobile devices for social media
- 24% read magazine content online
While Generation Y does utilize traditional media like radio, print and television, it is the manner in which media is accessed that differs from older age brackets. From the responses of the survey, it shows that online and social media are dominant resources. Therefore, it is beneficial for advertisers to continue with a traditional media platform to reach this audience; however, skewing the budget more towards digital can help maximize awareness.
Be sure to visit Ruth Burke & Associates’ blog to find the latest in media news and receive helpful tips to make your advertising campaign successful...